Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Comfy Royal York Hotel Concierge in HDR

Royal York Concierge, originally uploaded by codepirate.
This shot presented a few challenges. There were a lot of dimly lit lights hanging from the walls, ceiling and on tables. The fluorescent light made it difficult for the camera to distinguish various color tones. To make things worse I had only one RAW image to work with. I wanted to see what light I could extract from this single handheld shot. I did a tone mapping in Photomatix and then applied another tone mapping. This is the "double tone mapping" technique explained by Trey Ratcliff in his book A World in HDR. Bringing the picture in Photoshop I reduced the noise and played with Nik's Color Effext filters. I am happy with the final image. For a comparison here is the original image:


Notice the details on the ceiling in the HDR image vs this one? Comments and constructive criticism are certainly welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment